Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

I Love Play Dough!


I so enjoy playing with squishy squashy things. I love the feel of bread dough in my hands as I pound and pummel and knead it into submission. I always love getting my hands dirty in the garden. I even love shaping mince rissoles for the BBQ!

So today when I made play dough for a friend's kids, you won't be surprised to hear that I've been thoroughly enjoying a little play dough play myself!

There's something so satisfying about turning a lump of nothing into something pleasing to the senses – whether it be pleasing to the touch, or pretty to look at, or delicious. And in the case of play dough, more than the finished product, I really just enjoy the feel of the dough in my hands as I squish it and squash it from one shape to another.

Play dough is so easy to make. This is what you need:

1 cup flour
½ cup salt
4 tsps lemon juice (most recipes call for cream of tartar but since it's impossible to find here, I used lemon juice which works just as well)
1 cup water
1 tbs oil

And this is how you do it:

1.In a saucepan, combine the flour and salt.
2.In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.
3.Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the flour mixture until smooth.
4.Constantly stir the mixture over medium heat until it clumps together into a ball.
5.Remove from heat and knead until smooth.
6.Divide the dough and add a couple of drops of colour to each ball of dough.
7.Knead the balls of dough separately until the colour in each is uniform.
8.Store in ziploc bags or air-tight containers

I made blue and green play-dough today. Which just happen to also be the 2 colours that seem to work best. What do you think of my little one-minute monsters?






0 comments: