Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

A better frame of mind

It's been too long since I've blogged about anything, I know.  But to be honest I just haven't been in the right frame of mind to share my thoughts with the rest of the world.  I've been feeling depressed because I've been feeling imprisoned.  Physically imprisoned.  Our home is really like a prison in many ways with the high fence completely circling the complex and security guards patrolling the gates and the grounds.  I don't notice these things if I get out of the place every now and then but you see, for more than a month we've been without a car which has meant we've been stranded out here in "the compound" amongst the cotton fields with no logical means of escape.  It's a 7km trip to the nearest village.  About 15km to the nearest shopping centre.  And about 20km to the nearest beach.  With temperatures as hot as they've been, this is just too far to walk with a toddler.  Our other option is taking the shuttle bus that runs several times a day and connects to a the regular bus service in the village.  But because the poorly paved road is so narrow with too many blind corners and Turkish drivers tend to believe they're driving formula one race cars at all times, taking Kaya on a bus was not an option for us.  So the only times we were able to leave the complex were when we hired a car on hubby's one day off each week.  For me, Miss Peter Pan, a one week leave pass is just not often enough to maintain any degree of sanity.  So for the past 5 or 6 weeks I've been fighting waves of insanity and wallowing in a puddle of feeling-sorry-for-myselfness...

But not anymore!!  We have our car back = our parole hearing was successful = FREEDOM.

0 comments: